Week Two of the Primal Challenge. One of the areas that seems to have been the biggest struggle for the group as a whole has been getting enough sleep. This week we will all be shooting for 7.5 hours of sleep each night. The benefits of getting a good night of sleep should not be understated. Here are some interesting facts about sleep:
- A 2005 study showed that among people aged 32-49 those that get less than 7 hours of sleep a night were significantly more likely to be obese.
- A lack of sleep can both lower your glucose tolerance and increase your cortisol levels and insulin resistance
- A lack of sleep can deregulate your hunger hormones (leptin and ghrelin)
- Going 24 hours without sleep is said to be similar to performing with a blood alcohol level of .10%
- Sleep debt is cumulative. The more days in a row that you go without at least 7.5 hours of sleep the greater your chance of suffering these negative effects
Hopefully we can all step our sleep game up this week!
All About Sleep from Precision Nutrition
The Definitive Guide to Sleep from Mark’s Daily Apple
Today’s Challenge: No screen time one hour prior to bed. Television, phones and the computer can all disrupt our production of melatonin in addition to being highly stimulating prior to bed. Put them away for tonight and see if you have an easier time falling asleep.
Post to the comments with your score